Introducing the changes that took place until the construction of the new Prefectural Office Main Building, using photographs from the Shiga Prefectural Office Commemorative Magazine and other sources.
Facade of the old Prefectural Office
Photo courtesy of Obayashi Corporation
The old Prefectural Office was completed in June 1888, and used for 49 years, until its dismantling in June 1937.
Full view of the old Prefectural Office 1
The old Prefectural Office occupied the same location as the current one.
Full view of the old Prefectural Office 2
Scene of the move from the old Prefectural Office to the Temporary Office
Front Gate of the Temporary Prefectural Office
The Prefectural Public Hall and Products Display Center, on the north bank of the canal in Bessho, Otsu, were used as the temporary offices.
Scene of the Dismantling of the old Prefectural Office
Ground-Breaking Ceremony for the Prefectural Office Main Building (October 14, 1937)
Scene of the Construction of the New Office
Cornerstone Ceremony (November 8, 1938)
At the cornerstone ceremony, Governor Toshitaka Taira placed a commemorative plaque, inscribed with a list of names of the people involved in the project, at the cornerstone on the right side of the front entrance.
Completion Ceremony (May 16, 1939)
Students in Otsu held a flag-bearing procession to celebrate the completion of construction on May 16, 1939.